Trying to get a good night’s sleep with back pain is sort of like trying to fall asleep next to a wood chipper. Even if you fall asleep, it probably won’t be long before you are awoken with your back barking at you.
But it doesn’t have to be such a lost cause.
I’m sure you are at least hoping it’s not a lost cause since you are looking for the best mattress for back pain currently available today. Now, I’m not out here saying that the right bed can cure your back pain, but what I am saying is the right bed can make your back pain less and can even provide those with back pain a great night’s sleep. I’m sure many of you would give your left leg if you could get solid sleep consistently.
Well, the good news is you don’t have to give up any limbs because there are many great options out there on the market today for those that are suffering from back pain. But finding the right mattress can be a bit of a hassle considering you would need substantial money, time, and storage to try out all the beds to find the right one for you. So to lend a helping hand we went to just that trouble and tested out all the top brands out there on the market today and found the help those with back pain get some sleep.
Below you will find our top 5 picks, some features of each one, things we liked, things we didn’t, and our overall thoughts.
Your Guide To The Best Mattress For Back Pain in 2017
What To Look For In A Mattress To Help With Back Pain
Here are the necessary factors that one has to consider when purchasing the best mattress for back pain and have comfort when sleeping:
- Support for Lower Back Pain– Going to sleep should not mean added pressure to your back, therefore, it is crucial to find a mattress that has good support for your back. Get the best mattress for lower back pain that keeps your spine in alignment, while also providing comfort.
- Have a medium firm feel – a firmness level of approximately 5-7 out of 10 on the firmness scale is essential because it allows parts of the body that needs to sink in while still giving support in the places that require it.
- Have a slight to moderate body contour and hug – provides comfort and improves support for your back.
- Have a good to an exceptional level of deep compression support – provides consistent support for both light and heavy sleepers.
- Should have cooling effects– airflow management can improve the overall oxygenation of the body. Better oxygenated cells result in better internal temperature regulation, which in turn results in a reduction of lower back pain, muscle pain, and other body pain by improving blood flow and cell regeneration.
- Ability to have an adjustable foundation – Adjustable foundations are necessary since it conforms to a variety of sleeping positions. The adjustable foundation helps to relieve pressure points along your back, increase blood flow and ease breathing which could help in reducing back pain, improved restfulness, and have better internal temperature regulation.
The Top Mattress for Back Pain Review of 2017
Novosbed is one of the best mattresses for back pain that provides for body contouring and motion isolation for more restful sleep. It is a luxury foam mattress designed with designer fabrics and dense memory foams that keep the mattress feeling new daily.
- Has a medium firmness.
- 11 inches mattress made of 3 layers of foam.
- A cover blended by various materials with a smooth top finish.
- Great pressure relief
- 120 nights free trial
Novosbed mattress is made of three memory foam layers that make for a great bed. The top layer made from ultra-dense memory foam is designed to provide a cooling and a balanced level of comfort. The 2-inch middle layer is designed for support and pressure relief. The 7-inch bottom layer made up of support foam acts as the foundation for the mattress supporting the two layers of above it.
Rating and Reviews
Novosbed is a highly moldable mattress suited for the average sleeper looking for deeper sinking and pressure relief, especially from back pains. With a customer rating of 4.7, Novosbed proves to be one of the best mattresses for back pain.
The Alexander Hybrid Signature Series is one of the best mattresses for back pain on the internet. It is a mattress built from a combination of zoned pocketed coil base and memory foam. This blend of materials allows for a nice amount of contour on top while remaining very well supported. The zoned pocketed coil system can provide support where you need it most and less where you don’t.
- Has a convoluted foam for temperature regulation
- Copper Infused Memory Foam. Copper is known for its antimicrobial properties, but also its heat conductive properties.
- Has a smart airflow system with punched foams and breathable layers to achieve maximum airflow.
- Thermic Phase Change Cooling fabric
- 100 days trial period
The Alexander Hybrid Mattress utilizes a very durable 5 – zoned individually pocketed coil unit with edge support coils all around the perimeter, this provides a movement-free sleep surface and supports the back perfectly. A soft quilted, luxurious top layer of fabric provides a cool, comfy surface.
The additional top layer of convoluted foam provides an ergonomically supportive surface helpful for relieving back pain and a more airy, breathable surface than traditional flat memory foam. Right below the top layer, a Copper Infused Memory Foam follows which is known for its antimicrobial and heat conductive properties.
Rating and Reviews
Being a perfect mattress for back pain and pressure relief, customers across the globe using the product have rated Alexander mattress with 4.8 stars out of 5, making it one of the best mattresses for back pain.
Colonial is one of the high-end mattresses that Amerisleep makes and is a great model for side sleepers and some combo sleepers. It is 13 inches thick with three layers, and it also has extra measures put into its construction to help you sleep extra cool.
- Has a thickness of 13 inches
- Celliant and poly blended cover
- 20 years warranty
- Has a fire sock
- Green Guard certified
- 100 free nights
With 3 uniquely designed layers of construction including a base layer (7 – inch Bio-core foam), Transition layer (4 – inch Affinity Layer with Surface Modification Technology), and Top layer (2 – inch Bio-Pur+ Foam), the colonial mattress has a low firmness and offers support to the body which gives a lower risk for back pain.
Rating and Reviews
The colonial mattress is one of the most advanced memory foam mattresses that offer vital support, comfort, and fresh surface layers. With the great benefits of the mattress, customers have rated the mattress 4.6 making it one of the best bed for back pain.
Loom and Leaf is a luxury foam mattress made by Saatva, a company which was named by Forbes in 2015 as one of the top 100 companies to watch out for. The company had seen such prominent satisfaction among its customers, that even Pope Francis slept on Loom and Leaf mattress when he visited America! All Loom and Leaf are certified and guaranteed to give you one of the best sleeping experience.
- It is of a 12 inches size of and has a 5 Ib foam
- It also includes cooling gel and cooling foams
- Has a flame retardant made of an organic cotton cover and a natural plant-based thistle
- Has a 120-day sleeping trial
This mattress is a solid choice for those struggling with back pain due to the quilted top layer backed by dense memory foam and excellent deep compression support. The Loom & Leaf does a great job providing a balanced level of contour around your body without creating an enveloped or stuck feeling.
Rating and Reviews
The Loom & Leaf is one of the best beds for back pain according to many customer reviews.
Leesa mattresses use high-end technology and substance to provide you with the best beds that guarantee the most comfortable sleep. It is a memory foam mattress made in America and available for free shipping around the world.
- It is a memory foam mattress
- 100 free nights trial
- Has a firmness of 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale
- Fast response
- Excellent support
- Excellent pressure relief
Leesa mattresses are built in with three layers of premium materials that ensure a good night of sleep because of its cooling bounce, contouring pressure relief, and core support night after night. The top layer is two inches thick and allows air flow that gives a refreshing feeling.
The middle layer is a 2-inch memory foam layer that provides body contouring and pressure relief. The bottom layer consisting of 6-inch dense core support foam gives the bed incredible strength, durability, and structure to support all types of sleepers without feeling too firm at the top.
Rating and Reviews
With a top layer of Avena foam, Leesa provides an excellent support and above average pressure relief making it the best option for sleepers struggling with back problems. With all these qualities, customers have rated it as the best mattress for lower back pain.
Medium-firm memory foam mattresses assist vertebrae alignment, reduce muscle tensions, and also aid the body’s natural process. These mattresses are easy to find both online and in leading stores, they are durable and also very affordable. Compared with the rest, Leesa mattresses takes the cake as the best mattress for lower back pain and back pain in general. With its 100 days trial, you can try it today!